Consent for Exempt Research
The Pennsylvania State University
Title of Project: Exploring Privacy Literacy in School Librarian Pedagogy and Practice
Principal Investigator: Dr. Priya Kumar
Telephone Number: 814-865-4446
You are being invited to volunteer to participate in a research study. This summary explains information about this research.
- This study is being done to learn how school librarians incorporate information about privacy into their programs and services related to digital, media, and/or information literacy.
- Participation involves taking part in an interview and responding to questions about your experience as a school librarian and your thoughts about the role librarians can play in helping children learn about digital privacy. The interview will be recorded and transcribed. If you do not wish to have your interview recorded, please tell the Principal Investigator.
- The only potential risk of participation in this study is discomfort related to thinking of any stressful experiences you may have had while working as a school librarian.
- Your participation is confidential, and any quotes or information we use in research papers or presentations will be attributed to pseudonym. No personally identifiable information will be shared. There is a risk of loss of confidentiality if your information or your identity is obtained by someone other than the investigators, but precautions will be taken to prevent this from happening. The confidentiality of your electronic data created by you or by the researchers will be maintained as required by applicable law and to the degree permitted by the technology used. Absolute confidentiality cannot be guaranteed.
- We will disclose research records when we are required to do so by law. This includes laws that require us to report child abuse or abuse of elderly or disabled adults. Research records can be opened by court order, and records also may be provided in response to a subpoena or a legal request for the production of documents.
- You will receive a $30 gift card as a token of appreciation for participating in the study. You will receive the gift card even if you do not finish the interview.
If you have questions, complaints, or concerns about the research, contact Dr. Priya Kumar, Principal Investigator, at814-865-4446. If you have questions regarding your rights as a research subject or concerns regarding your privacy, contact the Human Research Protection Program at 814-865-1775.
Your participation is voluntary and you may decide to stop at any time. You do not have to answer any questions that you do not want to answer.